Seiten

2/09/2014

Colette Truffle Dress

The Truffle Dress was the pattern I fell in love with first from the Colette Sewing Handbook. The version in the book is so cute. It was also the pattern I tried first after receiving the book for Christmas that year. I had just started sewing in September 2011, and so of course I made some stupid mistakes with this dress. It ended up laying around for over a year unfinished. But I finally finished it last September with help from my mom.

The fabric is Crepe Back Satin from JoAnn's. I was thinking about to play with the shiny and matte side of the fabric, but decided against it and used only the shiny side. I made a muslin of the bodice and the fit was spot on. But for some reason the bodice from the dress was gaping a lot in the back. Which was one of the reasons why it ended up in the UFO bin. 

The other mistake was using the wrong interfacing. At that point in my sewing adventures I had not clue whatsoever about different interfacings. I learned, mostly the hard way. The wrong choice of interfacing is not really visible, and the dress is for sure wearable.



The dress is fully lined with blue Rayon Bemberg. And of course after I set in the zipper and tried on the dress it ripped a hole in the lining. Zippers aren't exactly my friends. 

Finally last September I got around to open some seams and taking in the back of the bodice to get rid of the gaping. It still gapes a little, but it might be just me being too picky about it. It really isn't that bad. 

It is a cute dress, and I will attempt it again. Maybe a version without the drape in front. 



Pattern Description:
Dress with wide scoop neck, darted bodice, straight skirt with assymetrical flounce.
Pattern Sizing:
0 (33") - 18 (46"), I made a size 2
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy and detailed instructions in the Colette Sewing Handbook.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the flounce, and the fitted bodice.
Fabric Used:
Shell fabric: Crepe backed Satin
Lining fabric: Rayon Bemberg
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I had to take in the back an inch. No other alterations.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I will sew it again, and recommend it.
Conclusion: 
A lovely dress that works with fancy fabric as well as with cotton. It is also cute without the drape on the skirt.

Keine Kommentare: